Friday, April 3, 2009

Salmon Onigiri

Got this inspiration from Happy Home Baking when she made Salmon Onigiri for her kids. Ok, her's was definitely more professional looking then mine.


Kid's Meal
Salmon Onigiri - Part I

Adult's Meal
Salmon Onigiri - Part II

Ingredients & Directions
  • Pearl Rice (1.5 cup)
  • 1 salmon fillet (about 200g)
  • 2 tsp Japanese Seaweed Seasoning (I used Yamaiso Sarukani Kassen)
  • 2 tsp Japanese Seasoned Soysauce (I used Unagin No Tare)
  • Pinch of Salt
  • Pinch of Sugar
  • Japanese Mayonese
  • A few green peas
  • Dried Shaved Bonito (I used Hana Kaisoo)
  • Pork Floss
  1. Cook pearl rice with equal portion of water in a rice cooker, add a pinch of salt and sugar. Leave rice to cool slightly
  2. Clean salmon, cut into cubes, then stir fry it with the Japanese Soysauce until cooked through. Then flake the salmon.
  3. Cooked a few Green peas in boiling water and leave it to cool.
  4. Mix salmon to the rice and add some Seaweed Seasoning to taste.
  5. Put rice mixture into rice shaper until half full, put some pork floss and mayonese in the middle. Then cover it with more rice to form into a tight ball and shape accordingly.
  6. To decorate the rice ball, put some cook green peas to make the eyes of the bear and seaweed for the mouth.
  7. For the kids portion, I actually put some mayonese and pork floss on the bottom of the plate and then put the rice ball on top.
  8. For the adult portion, I simply squeeze some mayonese on top of the rice ball, then sprinkle the dried bonito on top.
Verdict: I must say I like it a lot, tasted yummy although my boy don't really like it, he got put off by the green peas and the black spot (caused by the Japanese Seaweed) on the rice...sigh...Not sure I will make it again though...maybe when there is special occasion.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails