Have been experimenting with Cheesecakes recently and stumble upon this recipe from my son's school's calender. A stawberry cheesecake using gelatin and cream cheese instead of whipping cream. The result turn out quite well except for the jelly top as I think I added too much green colouring so it lost it's transparency and so the kiwi that was layered in between didn't come out. However as for the taste I personally felt that it was too light for me, I still prefer the whipped cream version creamier and reacher.
Here's the recipe.
Ingredients and Directions
- 150g digestive biscuits
- 60g butter
- Gelatin Powder 11/4 tsp
- Boiling Water 120ml
- Kiwi Puree (2 kiwis cooked in 1 tbs lemon juice and sugar to taste)
- Cream Cheese 125g
- Sugar 35g
- Vanilla Essence 1/4 tsp
- Fresh Kiwi (I slice the kiwi into round thin slices and uses about 4 slices to decorate)
- Gelatine powder 11/2 tsp
- Water 180ml
- Sugar 3 tsp
- Food colouring
1. Melt butter and mix with the crushed biscuits. Press mixture onto the base of the tray. Refrigerate the tray for 15 minutes or until required. Prick the bae with a skewer before pouring the filling onto the tray.
2. Place gelatin powder in a bowl. Por boiling water over the powder and stir until the gelatine has dissolved, about 10 minutes.
3. Beat the cream cheese, sugar and vanilla essence until creamy. Gradually addd the gelatine syprup into the mixture and beat until the mixture is smooth.
4. Scouped out 1 tbs of the kiwi puree and put aside. Pour the rest of the kiwi into the cream cheese mixture and blend until evenly distributed.
5.Pour mixtue onto the prepared crust. Press the kiwis onto the cheese mixture, partially submerge the kiwi in the cheese mixture. Refrigerate for about 2 hours or until firm.
6. Dissolve gelatin powder and sugar in boiling water until the gelatine has dissolved. Add green colouring. Add in the prepared kiwi puree.
7. Cool the gelatin syrup completely before pouring over the cheese filling. Refrigerate the dessert until ready to serve.