Ice Cream Chocolate Cake
For the Cake (this make a small 8" cake)
- 3/4 cups self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 eggs
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3/4 cups milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt, set aside. In a medium bowl, cream together the sugar and butter until smooth. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Gradually mix in the dry ingredients, alternately with the milk. Once all of the ingredients have been incorporated, mix on high speed of an electric mixer for 2 to 3 minutes. Pour batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes in the preheated oven, until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Cut cake into half horizontally.
- Heat 1/2 cup cream, then add 100gm baking chocolate. Be sure not to burn the chocolate.
- Add 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
- Cool mixture. To check if it's ready, a dropof ganache onto the mixture should disappear quickly.
Assembling the Cake
- Soften ice cream by allowing it to thaw in room temperature for a while
- Lay 1st layer of cake on the bottom of the 8" pan and spread with 1/4 tub of ice cream
- Lay 2nd cake layer on top of the ice cream, and spread with another 1/4 tub of the ice cream. The cover entire pan with aluminium foil and freeze for at least 1 day
- Glaze the cake - pour 1/2 lukewarm ganache onto the cake surface, quickly swirl it around until entire surface is covered. Ganache will harden almost immediately due to the cold surface. Cover with foil again to freeze.
- For piping with ganache, whip it quickly in mixer until color lightens and ganache achieves a consistency of buttercream.
- To remove the cake from the pan, dip a towel into hot boiling water, squeeze out excess. Lay cake pan onto the hot towel and wipe sides with it thus loosening the cake from the cake pan. Then life the cake out of the pan and onto a serving plate. You may want to put the cake back into the freezer to chill before decorating
- 1 hour before serving, take the cake out of the freezer. Pipe large swirls of whipped chocolate ganache around the edges of the cake. After the cake is prepared, leave the decorated cake in the refrigerator to thaw a little before cutting.