Always wanted to make a cake and decorate it with frosting. So today, decided to make one to celebrate my birthday. Instead of making a cake, I thought of making something light and I stumble upon this chocolate 3 layer cheese cake from Happy Homebaking made with yoghurt and decided to give it a try. I run out of cream cheese so wasn't able to used the exact amount called for in the recipe, so I think that's why the cake came up to be a little too soft and tasted more like chocolate moouse rather then chocolate cheesecake and I think I added too little sugar as well as the sour taste of the yoghurt was a little too strong and covered the taste of the chocolate. Luckily, I was able to find this chocolate buttercream frosting which tasted really really yummy. So all in all I quite like this cake and I think I almost ate the entire one myself as my husband and kid don't really fancy the sourish taste. Here's my final product:
Chocolate Cheese Cake
Ingredient and Directions
(makes one 6 inch cheesecake)
for the base:
100g digestive biscuits, crushed into fine crumbs
60g butter, melted
250g cream cheese, soften at room temperature
80g caster sugar
200g non-fat plain yogurt
2 teaspoons gelatin powder
3 tablespoon water
80g white chocolate, melted
- Mix biscuit crumbs; melted butter together and press firmly with the help of a spoon onto the base of a 6 inch round pan. Chill for 30 minutes.
- Place gelatin powder and water in a bowl. Heat a pot filled with some water until just simmering and place the bowl inside the pot. Dissolve gelatin and water in the bowl. Keep warm.
- With a whisk, beat cream cheese till soft. Add in sugar and whisk until smooth and creamy.
- Add in yogurt and continue to beat till smooth. Blend in gelatin solution and mix well.
- Divide cheese mixture into 2 equal portions.Pour half into the biscuit base and spread evenly. Chill in the fridge for a while.
- For the 2nd portion, stir in mixture of 80g melted dark chocolate Spread over the 1st layer. Chill for 3 to 4 hours before serving.
The Chocolate Frosting
(original recipe here)
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- Cocoa powder, see below
- 2 2/3 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- For light chocolate frosting use 1/3 cup cocoa powder For medium chocolate frosting use 1/2 cup cocoa powder for dark chocolate frosting use 3/4 cup cocoa powder.
- In mixer bowl cream the butter. Add the cocoa and powdered sugar alternately with milk. Beat to spreading consistency adding more milk if needed. Blend in vanilla.
JUST FOUND YOUR BLOG, THIS CAKE IS WONDERFUL, GREAT PICTURES!!
first time here.....great cheese cake........happy belated birthday
Hi 'from my motherhome to yours'. Thanks, glad you like this picture.
Hi Sangeeta, welcome. Thanks for the belated birthday wish.
Wow!I found your blog through the foodieblogroll and I love your cake!Happy Belated Birthday!Hope you wont mind but I'd love to bring over Foodista readers to your site, just add this little widget here to this post and it's all set to go, Thanks!-Alisa@Foodista
Hi Thumbbook, glad you like my cake. Will be happy to include the Foodista readers, have added the widget to my site.
Post a Comment