Was trying to find some interesting cake to bake to celebrate my mother's day, but ended finding this interesting play dough cookies. Was trying to get my boy to help making but ended up having to stop him from destroying my creation. It's actually quite easy to make and quite tasty. Really happy with the result.
Fun Cookie Suckers (or Playdough Cookies or Lollipop Cookies)
(original recipe here)
Ingredients and Directions
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 cup white sugar (I used about just slightly more then 1/2 a cup and it's sweet enough)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (I used unbleached flour and replaced 3/4 of the flour with wholemeal flour and 2 tbs of wheat germ just to add in some healthy stuff into the cookies)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- assorted colors of paste food coloring
- 24 lollipop sticks (as I don't have lollipop stick, I used those disposable chopsticks instead, but think it's a tad too long)
- In a bowl cream butter, cream cheese and sugar until fluffy. Add egg and vanilla; beat until smooth
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add dry ingredients to the creamed mixture. Stir till soft dough forms. Divide dough into fourths. Tint each with a different food color. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Working with each color, shape dough into 3/4 inch balls. For each cookie place 1 pink, 1 green, 1 blue and 1 orange ball together to make 1 large rainbow colored ball. Shape into a 12 inch long roll (like a snake); starting at one end, coil roll to make a 2 3/4 inch round cookie. Place cookies 3 inches apart on lightly greased baking sheet. Carefully insert lollipop sticks into bottoms of cookie
- Bake cookies for 8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool and store in an airtight container.