Steamed Pumpkin Kueh
(original recipe from Rose's Kitchen Blog)
- 250g pumpkin (skinned, cut into cube)
- 250g rice flour
- 1 tbsp tapioca flour
- 800ml water
- 3 dried mushrooms (soaked & diced)
- 75g pork (diced)
- 50g dried chay po (soaked, chopped)
- 50g shallots (sliced)
- 2 Tbsp cooking oil
- 1/2 tsp light soya sauce
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- a pinch of five-spice powder (optional)
- 1/2 stalks spring onions (diced)
- Fried shallot crisps
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds
- Mix rice flour and tapioca flour with 350ml water. Strain mixture and set aside for 15 minutes.
- Heat 2 tbsp oil in wok, fry the sliced shallots until golden brown. Remove and set aside for garnishing.
- In the same oil, stir-fry the chopped chay po until aromatic.
- Add pork and mushrooms and stir-fry for a while. Add in the pumpkin cubes, seasoning and some water and let simmer for a while. Dish up and set aside.
- Boil the remaining 350ml of water with 1 tsp salt. When water is boiling, turn off heat immediately. Add in the mixture from (4) and the flour solution and keep on stirring till mixture becomes thick. Pour batter into a greased 23cm steaming tray.
- Steam mixture over high heat for 30 minutes or until cooked.
- Garnish with chopped spring onions. Sprinkle with lightly toasted sesame seeds and fried shallot crisps.
- When cold, cut into serving pieces and serve with chilli sauce.