Gingerbread Cookies with a Hint of Orange
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark corn syrup (I replace this with molasses)
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (I obmitted this as I hate the cinnamon smell)
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves (I obmitted this)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cream the butter and the sugar together. Add the egg and mix well. Mix in the orange peel and dark corn syrup. Add the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, ground cloves and salt, mixing until well combined. Chill dough for at least 2 hours, I like to chill overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough out to 1/4 inch thick. Cut into desired shapes using cookie cutters. Place cookies 1 inch apart on the prepared cookie sheets.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven, until cookies are firm and lightly toasted on the edges.
- 2 egg whites
- 2 cups sifted confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Beat egg whites in clean, large bowl with mixer at high speed until foamy (use only grade A clean, uncracked eggs). Gradually add sugar and extract. Beat at high speed until thickened.
NOTE: When dry, Royal Icing is very hard and resistant to damage that can occur during shipping/handling.
Post a Comment