Friday, May 14, 2010

Flourless Chocolate Cake

It's that time of the year again and I just have to try baking a cake for myself.  As it's my own birthday cake, I decided to indulge in something I like and make a cake of it, Chocolate.  Had wanted to make a normal chocolate cake but stumble upon this cake recipe in allrecipes.com and decided to give it a try as the review sound really good.  The cake was super simple to make, it takes me only about 15 minutes to prepare and 30 minutes to bake.  The verdict, tasted really nice, not too reach and not too sweet...I served it with strawberries, the sourish strawberries compliment really well with the chocolate...yum yum....going to make this again, it's too easy not to make it again. Best of all it's gluten free since no flour involved and as I have cut down the sugar, it's also not as sinful as other chocolate cakes.

Flourless Chocolate Cake

Flourless Chocolate Cake
(make a thin 8" cake)

Ingredients and Directions
  • 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate, chopped (I used cadbury dark chocolate instead)
  • 1/2 cup butter
  • 3/4 cup white sugar (I reduce the sugar to 1/4 cup as my chocolate is already sweet)
  • 1/2 cup cocoa powder (I omitted this an replace it with another 2 ounce of cadbury dark chocolate)
  • 3 eggs, beaten
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Cocoa Powder for dusting
  1. Preheat oven to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Grease an 8 inch round cake pan, and dust with cocoa powder.
  2. In the top of a double boiler over lightly simmering water, melt chocolate and butter. Remove from heat, and stir in sugar, cocoa powder, eggs, and vanilla. Pour into prepared pan.
  3. Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Slices can also be reheated for 20 to 30 seconds in the microwave before serving.

 Had wanted to decorate the cake with a nice Granache but I ran out of time, so I just simply decorated the cake with a dusting of cocoa powder and strawberries.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails